Europe Day 2: Munich, Germany | Marienplatz | Old Town | Neus Rathaus | Endless Staircase

My Europe trip videos were super slow in updating as I am switching over from Openshot to Davinci Resolve and I have to re-learn everything again (excuses). 

There was no free transport today, so we would have to walk everywhere to keep this trip within out budget.

My plan was to watch the bells chime and the life-sized figures in Marienplatz at 11am -> walk around the old town -> Englischer Garten -> New Town Hall (Neus Rathaus) -> Endless Staircase -> Deutsches Museum Verkehrszentrum

It seems that my plans were too ambitious. As we were busy shooting after breakfast at Cafe Marlene, we weren't able to reach Marienplatz at 11am. We missed Englischer Garten as we spent too much time in Saturn, an electronic store. We found vinyl records and CDs and KJ brought a lot of CDs. I am glad that we do not have a turntable at home or I would have brought a lot of vinyl records. Actually, I am not sure if I want a turntable as vinyl records were very expensive in Singapore. 

The Christmas market in the Old Town was not officially open when we were there. However, a lot of stalls were already open and there were lots of people. 

We reached the Endless Staircase just before the 4:30 pm sunset. Nestled within a discreet office courtyard, Olafur Eliasson's creation stands as an Instagram-worthy gem in Munich. This freely accessible courtyard, adorned with vibrant office buildings, serves as a colorful backdrop to the staircase's artistic allure. The location, Ganghoferstraße 29A, 80339 München, is easily accessible via the Schwanthalerhöhe subway station—simply hop on the U4 or U5 lines and take a brief 100-meter stroll to the KPMG office building. No specific opening hours apply, allowing for a flexible and delightful visit to this captivating spot.

However, by the time we reached the Deutsches Museum Verkehrszentrum, we still had half an hour until closing time. We decided not to enter at that time.

In the end, our route turns out to be:

Marienplatz -> Old town -> New Town Hall (Neus Rathaus) -> Endless Staircase

In winter, the sun sets at 4:30pm and it's completely dark at 5:30pm. However, my body clock kept telling me that it was already 8 or 9pm, and that I should be heading back to my hotel when the sky got dark. At this point, I'm not sure if jetlag had anything to do with it. On our way back to our hotel, we bought some sandwiches and slept early again.

No comments:

Post a Comment