The plants arrived

So, I went all out and got myself a bunch of plants, and let me tell you, they're a mixed bag of surprises. First off, we've got this dracaena marginata that's seriously stunning and seriously tall. But here's the kicker – its pot is practically a dumbbell. I'm not kidding, it's so heavy that even a weightlifter would think twice about lifting it.

But hold on, the dracaena isn't the only heavyweight here. These other plants I got aren't exactly small fries either. That $80 delivery fee? Totally worth it, because there's no way me and KJ could have lugged these bad boys home. They're all chilling in these decent-sized ceramic pots, and man, those pots pack a punch – they're heavy-duty.

Okay, so I'm stoked about these plants finally making it to my place, but now comes the tricky part. Turns out, some of them – like the Adenium obesum (Desert rose) and Calamansi – are sun worshippers. And guess what? I don't exactly have a sunny spot to spare, unless I stick them on the air-con ledge. But here's the catch – if mosquitoes start breeding there, I'm the prime suspect, even if it's not my doing!

Now, let's talk about the newcomers in my plant posse:

Alocasia Amazonica: This is the one that kicked off my plant spree. It's picky about light, water, and everything in between. Handling it feels like navigating a botanical minefield. Low to bright indirect light. Do not let the sunlight falls on it, it will get sun burn easily. Water it when the top soil are dry, they do not like to be soggy but prefer to be partially dry out. Love nutrient rich potting soil, give compost. Love humidity. All Araceae are toxic to pets. Can be sensitive to salts, minerals, and chlorine in tap water, let water sit for 24 hours before giving to Alocasia Amazonica, or use distill water.

Adenium obesum (Desert Rose): A sun-craving beauty that doesn't need frequent watering. Patience and precision are my new best friends.

Citrus hinsii, Hong Kong Kumquat: These guys want both water and sun. It's like a daily ritual of getting their hydration and light doses just right.

Dracaena Marginata: The star of the show that made the delivery cost seem worth it. Balancing light levels and soil dampness is now my jam. It prefers a bright or lightly shaded spot but will also tolerate lower light levels but not for too long. It likes moist compost. Let the soil dry in between watering. If the leaves are drooping. Try to water from the bottom of the pot. Use distill water only.

Phalaenopsis Orchid: I've got two of these, and let me tell you, they're divas. High-maintenance and fancy, they demand attention and the art of orchid pampering. Oh my god, I have never take care of Orchid before, I hope they do not die under my care. Damn it, this are high maintenance plants. The leaves needs to be kept dry all the time indoor. Spray water with fertilzer on the roots in the morning, afternoon and evening. roots needs to be dry within mintues. Prefers indirect bright lights.

Aglaomorpha Ferns: These shade lovers are chill with less water – a nice break from the high-maintenance crew.

Gymnocalycium Soglionis Cactus: This cactus is like a sun-shy introvert. Too much sun, and it throws a tantrum. Gotta find its sweet spot.

Ficus Microcarpa: Future tree alert! It needs sunlight, but not the scorching kind. Watering it once a week is the deal. Full Sun, Semi-Shade, prefers almost six hours of sunlight. However, the hottest hours' direct sunlight is not ideal. Indirect sunlight is the best option.  Water once per week.

Ponderosa Lemon: Another wannabe tree. It's all about sunlight and water here – they're like its lifelines. Water two to three times weekly.

So, I've got a total of ten pots now, each with its own quirks and demands. It's like a whole neighborhood of green characters, and I'm the mayor trying to keep everyone happy.

I'll be sharing updates on how my plant family is doing as I figure out this whole plant-parenting gig. And if you've got any tips or stories about your own plant escapades, hit me up – I'm all ears. After all, it takes a village to raise a bunch of plants!

No comments:

Post a Comment