How to open esp files in GIMP

This was from my locked lens from Squidoo. Squidoo actually locked my lens right after I have updated it with new pictures. Since the previous lens has helped a lot of people in installing ghostscript files in GIMP, I think it should not be taken down. Furthermore, the information here also serve as my notes when I need to install ghostscript in my new computers.  

This post will shows you how to get GIMP to open your eps files. I have use GIMP 2.6.12 and Ghostscript 9.10 in this lens.

I wanted to share with everybody where to download ghostscripts files and make your GIMP open eps files as easy as possible without going round and round making all the stupid mistakes I have made.

The link of the download page is not broken. If you cannot click on the link, it is a screen graphic that show you the step, not for you to click on. 

Firstly, you will need to install a file named ghostscript. You can download the ghostscripts at http://www.ghostscript.com/download.

 photo ghostscript1.png

 photo ghostscript2.png

How to check if your window is running on 32 bits or 64 bits. You may skip this step if you know how to do this.

 photo ghostscript3.png
Go to My Computer, click "system properties" as shown in the picture above.

 photo ghostscript4.png
You will be able to see which Windows bit your computer is running.


Go to your download folder. Find the ghostscript file and double click on the file.

 
Click on the "run" button.

 
Click on the "setup" button.

 
Click on the "install" button. If you are unable to install the ghostscript file you have download, try to download another file from other source. Maybe here.

 
Right click on "My Computer", click on properties.

 
Click on "Advance System Setting".

 
Click on "Environment Variables..."

 
Under user variables, click the "new" button.

 
Type in "GS_PROG" for the variables Name and type in your gswin32.exe path for variables value. You will have to find your own path (where you have install the ghostscript). The picture above show the path where I have install my ghostscript and it can be different from yours. Click ok when you are done.

Open your GIMP. Try opening a eps file to see if it work. Do leave comments on this post if you have successfully open your esp files.

No comments:

Post a Comment